Hardwood Floor Maintenance “Do’s”
- Sweep the floor daily with a microfiber dust mop to keep it free from dust, grit, and other abrasive particles.
- Clean the floor once a week with alcohol based cleaners, like “Bona wood floor cleaner” or follow wood floor manufacturers recommendations on cleaners for your floor.
- Immediately remove any spills or moisture on the floor.
- Remove marks with an approved floor cleaner compatible with the floor’s finish, and use a microfiber cloth or mop. Contact us for approved cleaning products.
- Always protect the floor per your manufacturer’s specifications.
- Clean-up any pet accidents right away, to avoid the damaging effect of urine on the wood floor. Also with pets keep their nails groomed, this is very important as to limit the scratching on the floor .
- The heating/ventilating/air conditioning systems must be functioning properly and set to maintain indoor relative humidity of 35-50%.
Hardwood Floor Maintenance “Dont’s”
- Never shut down the ventilation system in your home for a prolonged period of time.
- Never clean your wood floor using scrubbing machinery or power scrubbers that use water. Water is your floor’s worst enemy!
- Never attempt to modify or repair your wood floor without first consulting us.
- NEVER USE WAXES, POLISHES OR ACRYLICS ON YOUR FLOOR.They can be harmful to the floor finish and create a build-up that will need to be removed by resurfacing or refinishing the floor.ials for your wood floor, so do not hesitate to contact us.
- Never use tape of any kind on wood floors.
Wood is naturally porous and can absorb and release moisture. If the humidity in your home rises, your wood floor will absorb that moisture, causing it to expand. If the humidity falls, your wood floor will release moisture, causing it to shrink. Many installations include expansion voids around the perimeter and around the columns or floor inserts, plus expansion joints built into the floor surface. These features permit natural, normal expansion and contraction without damage to the floor. Too much moisture causes abnormal expansion, which can lead to cupping or buckling of your floor. In abnormally dry conditions the wood will contract, leaving separations between flooring strips.
WE offer a full cleaning service of all hardwood floors with a very powerful machine called the Dirt Dragon. It is recommended like any other flooring surface to have your floors cleaned professionally at least once a year, please give us a call for a free cleaning estimate.
hardwood flooring before and after